District-Provided Benefits

In addition to the District-provided benefits outlined below, the District offers eligible employees a variety of voluntary benefits in which employees can enroll; visit the Voluntary Benefits page for more information.

  1. District-Provided Benefits
  2. Administrative & Certified Employees
  3. Classified Employees
  4. When do benefits begin?
  5. Making Benefit Election Changes

District-Provided Benefits

The following benefits are paid in full or in part by the District based upon the employee’s full-time equivalency (FTE):

The following benefits are paid in full by the District, regardless of FTE:

Administrative & Certified Employees

Who is eligible?

Administrative and certified employees who work 0.5 FTE or greater are eligible for District benefits.

Administrative and certified employees who work 1.0 FTE and enroll in the medical, dental, and/or vision plans will have their premiums paid in full by the District. Employees who work less than 1.0 FTE and enroll in the medical, dental, and/or vision plans will cost-share the premium with the District; reference the premium cost-sharing example below.

Premium Cost-Sharing Example:

  • Employee A works a 0.5 FTE contract, the District will pay 50% of the premium and the employee will pay the other 50%.
  • Employee B works a 0.75 FTE contract, the District will pay 75% of the premium and the employee will pay the other 25%.

Classified Employees

Who is eligible?

Regular, classified employees - as outlined in the Classified Employee Handbook, 2.3.2 Status Classifications - who work 20+ hours per week and who were hired prior to February 1st of the current school year (the February 1st rule only applies to positions working less than 12-months per year) are eligible for District benefits.

Employees who work 30 or more hours per week and enroll in the medical, dental, and/or vision plans will have their premiums paid in full by the District. Employees who work less than 30 hours per week and enroll in the medical, dental, and/or vision plans will cost-share the premium with the District; reference the premium cost-sharing below.

Premium Cost-Sharing:

  • Employees working 20 - 24.9 hrs/week will pay 50% of the premium and the District will pay the other 50%.
  • Employees working 25 - 29.9 hrs/week will pay 25% of the premium and the District will pay the other 75%.

When do benefits begin?

New-Hire Eligibility Period

Employees and their eligible dependents are eligible for benefits on the first of the month following 30 days of employment. If an employee does not enroll in benefits during this time, the employee may still have an opportunity during Spring Enrollment to enroll themselves or themselves and their eligible dependents.

There are also additional opportunities for employees to enroll themselves or themselves and their eligible dependents; view the Spring Enrollment and Making Benefit Election Changes sections for more information.

Spring Enrollment

If an employee did not enroll themselves or did not enroll themselves and their eligible dependents during the new-hire eligibility period, they will have the option during the District’s annual Spring Enrollment. The District’s Spring Enrollment period is May 15th - June 15th. During this period eligible employees may enroll themselves or themselves and their eligible dependents.

If an employee does not use this period to enroll, there are additional opportunities to enroll themselves or themselves and their eligible dependents; view the Making Benefit Election Changes section for more information.

Making Benefit Election Changes

Because the District operates its benefits under a Cafeteria Plan, the District is limited on what election changes are permissible and when. What does this mean for employees? It means employees may not make changes to plan elections outside of the new-hire eligibility period or the Spring Enrollment period unless the employee experiences a qualifying event as outlined in the IRS document, Tax Treatment of Cafeteria Plans (see §1.125-4 Permitted election changes). Please note, the District has not adopted all of the qualified changes listed in the document.