Parent & Staff Memo Regarding Coronavirus Update

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Good evening Boise School District Parents, Guardians and Staff Members,

We have been meeting throughout the day and into the evening with our District Executive Council in an effort to analyze the most current information available regarding COVID-19 and the impact on our students, staff, and community. Here’s what we know right now:

This evening we participated in a conference call with the other Southern Idaho Conference Superintendents representing: West Ada, Nampa, Caldwell, Kuna, and other Treasure Valley schools. Governor Brad Little’s education advisor participated in that call as well. Superintendents across the valley are trying to balance concerns from parents, guidance from Central District Health and other medical professionals, as well as what is in the best interest of every student and staff member.

The Governor, in collaboration with the Idaho Association of School Administrators, the Idaho School Board Association and the State Superintendent’s office, has scheduled a conference call for tomorrow in which they will address COVID-19 with education stakeholders. The Governor’s Office has requested that we wait until after this conference call to make any decisions related to school closure.  

As we have said in our prior memos, our neighborhood schools are centers for our community and provide meals and other critical services for our students. Students receive the best educational experience when in school. As long as our schools remain safe for students, staff and our community, we will remain open. If school closures are required, we will do our best to provide parents and staff with as much notice as possible.

Of course, we will respect the right of parents/guardians to make choices they believe are best for their child. 

CDC’s Considerations for School Closures


Coby Dennis


Boise School District