Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Table of Contents

Enrollment/ Registration

  • Does my student need to come with me to register?

    • Although not required, it is strongly recommended that the student be present when registering.

  • Do I (the parent or legal guardian) need to be present to register my child?

    • Yes

  • Do I need to call before I come to the school?

    • It is not required, but would be helpful. At the secondary level our counselors are often busy and making an appointment in advance will save you time.

  • How soon can my child begin attending school?

    • If you have provided required documentation your child can begin school the day after you have registered.


  • What documentation is required to register my child?

    • A certified copy of your child's birth certificate required by Idaho Code 13-4511, Section 2

    • Current immunization records

    • Proof of residence

    • If divorced, a copy of the divorce decree and custody agreement or any papers pertaining to current legal proceedings.

    • If you are a custodial guardian, you will need a "Power of Attorney" document, which must be renewed every six months.

  • What documentation would be helpful to bring to registration?

    • Address and fax number of previous school that your child attended.

    • Withdrawal grades and class schedule from previous school.

    • A copy of current IEP (if student has one)

  • I can’t find my child’s birth certificate or immunization records. Can he/she still enroll?

    • We need to have them for you to enroll. You have 30 days to provide missing documentation. For birth certificates contact the vital statistics department of the state where your child was born.

    • Contact your physician, clinic or previous school for immunization records.

  • Will you accept a hospital birth certificate?

    • No - only a state certified birth certificate is acceptable. Contact the vital statistics department of the state where your child was born. If your student was born in Idaho, visit Idaho Department of Health & Welfare.

  • Does the school keep the documents?

    • No - we will copy them for our records and return the originals to you immediately.


  • When can my student begin riding the bus?

    • When you enroll your child be sure you tell the registrar or secretary that your child needs bus transportation. It takes 3 - 4 days to process Kindergarten bus requests. Students in grades 1 - 12 can begin riding the bus immediately.

  • Where can I find information on busing?

    • Information for busing, including busing zones, can be found on our Transportation & Boundaries portion of our website.


  • What time does school start and end?

    • Times are different for elementary and secondary schools.

Open Enrollment

  • What is open enrollment and how does it work?

    • You can apply to enroll your child in a school other than your neighborhood school, from either within or outside of the Boise School District. Your application will be reviewed and either approved or denied. If the grade level at the school is currently full, approved applications can be placed on a waiting list.

  • How long does the open enrollment process take after I have submitted all the paperwork

    • The process can take several weeks.

  • How do I get my child on a waiting list for the next school year?

    • We advise starting the open enrollment procedure the preceding January.

  • How does my open enrolled student get to and from school?

    • Transportation to an out-of-neighborhood school is the parents’ responsibility. However, if there is a convenient bus stop on an existing route and room on that bus, you may apply for busing. Be sure to tell the registrar or secretary that you would like to apply.  There is a 3-4 week approval waiting period.

  • I want to find out more about open enrollment.

Madison Early Childhood Education Center

  • What is Madison School - a pre-school or daycare?

    • It is the an early childhood center. - There are two programs at Madison.

    • There are two separate programs at Madison. All the students are 3 - 5 years old.

Early Childhood Special Education

  • The Boise School District Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) provides services to children 3-5 years old, who qualify for special education services.  The program goals, curriculum and materials are developmentally appropriate and geared to the differing ability levels of each child.  Children attending the ECSE  classroom are provided a high quality program, and a safe and  nurturing environment.  This program promotes and integrates the cognitive, communication, physical, social, emotional, and self-help areas of development through classroom activities.

  • Children in this program are referred to or transferred into the program. If the student has an Individual Education Plan, they are enrolled with an amendment. If there is no IEP, an appointment must be made for one of the monthly Preschool Screenings. If qualified, an evaluation is scheduled, and if still qualified, an IEP will be developed and a meeting will be scheduled to finalize the IEP and complete enrollment.

Head Start

  • This federally –funded program promotes school readiness among low income children. Services include screening and assessment of health and other risk factors; education; promotion of parental involvement; and referrals for additional support as needed. All Head Start programs are evaluated to ensure they meet high quality standards.  Call Friends of Children & Families, Inc,  Head Start & Early Head Start for enrollment information.  

  • This is a Federally funded program for low income families. Enrollment is done through the Head Start Administration Office.

  • For more information about any of these programs contact Madison School

Treasure Valley Math and Science Center (TVMSC)

  • How are students selected to attend Treasure Valley Math and Science Center?

    • The selection process begins in December of the previous school year.

  • Who is eligible to attend TVMSC?

    • Students entering the TVMSC program must demonstrate solid academic performance in an accelerated setting and be prepared to handle at least Accelerated Algebra 1 and a trig-based physics program at the earliest entry level.

  • If students must leave TVMSC due to scheduling conflicts, may they reenter in subsequent years?

    • These students will just need to show that they remain in good standing up to the time that they left TVMSC and while taking their classes at their home school. The parents of the returning student will need to contact TVMSC prior to the start of the following school year to ensure that a space is available for the returning student.

  • How can I find out more about TVMSC?

    • Please visit the TVMSC web site.

Boise Evening School

  • What ages are eligible for Evening School?

    • Anyone 16 and older is eligible to participate in our program to receive their high school diploma. Students under 16 but in at least the 9th grade will require special permission.

  • What do I do to enroll in Evening School?

    • Students currently attending high school need to complete a registration form and have their counselor sign and initial class requests and the tuition waiver section. Students who are not currently enrolled will need a registration form and transcript.

  • How much does Evening School cost?

    • Everyone pays a registration fee. Class fees are charged on a per class basis if a student does not qualify for a tuition waiver. Tuition waivers are determined by school counselors.

  • When can I enroll in Evening School?

    • We accept registration forms at any time. Students wishing to be enrolled in a particular quarter should submit registration information prior to the beginning of that quarter. However, we will accept late registrations through the first week of class.

  • How many Evening School classes can I take and what are the hours?

    • You may take up to 2 classes with counselor’s permission. Classes are offered on M/W or T/Th from 5:30 to 9:30 pm.

  • How can I enroll or find out more information about Boise Evening School?

    • Please visit the Evening School web site.

Other Questions

  • Does my child need a physical exam?

    • A pre-seventh grade physical exam for participation in PE in grades 7 - 12 and for participation in athletics in grades 7 and 8 is required. Students participating in interscholastic athletics (grade 9-12) are required to have two physical examinations (beginning of 9th and 11th grade years) followed by a yearly interim questionnaire to be filled out by the parents. Forms to take to your physician are available on our forms page.

  • How do I enroll my student in the Frank Church alternative school?

    • Enrollments are handled by referrals from the student's home school counselor. If attendance for the student is appropriate, the student will then be referred to a Transition Counselor.